Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A first look thru the Nikon v1....

So, over the next few years, I will be travelling...living out of a backpack, for the most part. In order to capture this amazing experience, along with my new-found interest in photography, I wanted to get a new camera...a REAL camera...not just a "point-and-shoot", or my iPhone, which have been the cameras of choice up to this point.

After asking every photographer I know for their opinion, I began researching DSLRs - thank you, Google, YouTube, etc. My options basically came down to a Canon Rebel (of course, there are a few different types) and a Nikon (again, soooo many types). I took a drive to the local camera store, to see in real life, what these cameras could do, how they feel, what they look like, etc, and to hopefully have the salesperson shed even more light on this confusing topic for me.

I held both Canons and Nikons and asked the salesman every question I could think of (I needed translation on some of his answers). These cameras looked great, and can do soooo much, but were kind of big and heavy (if travelling with this all the time). I finally told him what my situation was - with travelling and all - and so he pulled out the Nikon v1. This is a camera that is basically a hybrid of a point-and-shoot and a DSLR. It has a small body like a point-and-shoot, but interchangeable lenses, along with all of the options a DSLR has (point-and-shoot cameras are good, but only up to a point. There are many settings you have no control over - such as changing the aperature, the amount of zoom, and the quality of the photo.)

I finally realized that although a DSLR was my goal, it would be impractical while travelling. I wanted something that would force me to learn more about photography, while getting amazing shots, and not take up too much room or be too heavy. I thought the Nikon v1 would be the best choice.

Well, as luck would have it, the other day I was driving past another camera shop, and it was going out of business! I figured, if it was meant to be for me to get this camera, this store would have it. And yes, they sure did! And I got a great deal! I bought the Nikon v1, which comes with a 1 Nikkor 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I then also purchased the 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 and 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 lenses. (I still want the 18mm /1.8 lens for super close shots!). I also purchased the Nikon 1 SB-N5 Speedlight (the Nikon v1 does not have a flash - so this is a removable flash). I also got a camera bag and UV filters for all 3 lenses.

I'll be taking a class soon on how to use this camera. As soon as I know more about my new camera, and what I'm doing, I'll write another post, a review, of some sort....


But until then, check out the pics I took while at the beach! I played around with the different lenses and settings - though at times, just got confused on what setting to use. But I had a blast, and am so far, pretty impressed with what this camera can do! And it will be PERFECT to use while travelling!!!!



You can also view these on My Picasa Page

Happy Hump Day everyone, 
and enjoy the rest of your week!

3 comments:

  1. This is what it's all about, getting out there and actually using the camera you got! :) I bet this is a dream for many in here, but we lack the opportunity, or most often guts, so here we are bickering about the newest gear we can't afford instead ;)
    Wonderful pictures, saving your homepage for later inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for checking out my blog! And yes...I agree with you....
    I'm taking lots of pictures with this camera for my new adventure...so, when you get a chance, check out my other blog!
    http://theoryxchronicles.blogspot.com

    Stay well, and if you ever want to write up a post for this blog, please let me know! It can be about ANYTHING inspirational, new hobby, the arts, hiking, camping, etc.....

    ReplyDelete